Thursday, July 21, 2011

Lovely Granola!

Pin It

I love this granola. I now have to make it weekly or the husband will get upset. :)


This is my granola recipe:

3 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup flax seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds (or sunflower if you prefer them)
1/4 cup oil (I always use olive, but canola would work too)
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes (you can also use sweet)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup (chopped) toasted nuts (I usually use almond slivers & walnuts)
1 cup dried fruit of your choice (optional)

First off, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Get a regular sized baking sheet and cover it with aluminum foil.

Then make sure that you toast the nuts. You can refer to my entry here for directions. Just make sure you do toast them! :)


Next you're going to take all of the ingredients except the fruit and mix them together. I usually start with the dry ingredients: rolled oats, flax seed, pumpkin seeds, coconut flakes, nuts, cinnamon, brown sugar, and the salt. Mixing these together well first will help.


Next I add the wet ingredients: oil, vanilla, and honey. Make sure that you mix these together really well. 



Spread the mixture evenly on your baking sheet. 


Now comes what I consider the hard part. You have to keep an eye on the granola while you're cooking it because it can go from perfect to burnt in a minute! This is the schedule that I have discovered works the best:

I start off baking it for 7 minutes. Then I pull it out, stir it, and put it back for another 7 minutes. Stir it again and then set your timer for 4 minutes. At this point it's just about done, so I stir it (again!) and bake it for just another 2 minutes. :) Just watch it and make sure to stir it often. You want it to be a nice golden brown, lighter or darker to your taste.

Once the granola is baked, allow it to cool all the way in it's pan. Once it has cooled you can add in the dried fruit. We use craisin pomegranates.


Now, it's ready to eat! Just try not to eat it all the first day. I usually hide it away. :) Our favorite way to eat it is with vanilla yogurt for breakfast. Yum!




Pin It



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting love! And I can't wait to hear what you have to say, bring it on!! And many thanks for taking your time to visit! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...