Sunday, October 30, 2011

Oobleck

If you haven't experienced Oobleck, then you must. The name is stolen from the Dr. Seuss book "Bartholomew and the Oobleck." Oobleck (or ooze, goo, or whatever you want to call it) is a non-Newtonian fluid. This means it acts like a liquid and a solid. If you pour it, you have a liquid. If you apply force to it, then it acts like a solid. It can also act like a babysitter, providing hours of cheap entertainment.

I have a million things to get done today, the pile of boxes in the dining room is continuous reminder of the packing I need to do. Instead I decided to make Oobleck for my husband, who had not experienced it before.

All you need is some starch, water, and food coloring (optional). You want to put 1 1/2 - 2 parts corn starch with 1 part water. For example:



1 1/2 - 2 cups corn starch
1 cup water
5 drops food coloring

I start with 1 1/2 parts and then add more corn starch if it isn't "acting" correctly. If your oobleck is too runny and not performing as a solid when you're being forceful, then add some more corn starch.

The food coloring is completely optional. Be warned, it can cause some colorful fingers. If colored fingers scare you then I would stick to white Oobleck. The Oobleck itself washes off easily with water.


Mixing together the corn starch and water can get a little...interesting. Remember, Oobleck acts as a liquid when poured. So as you're attempting to mix it, be gentle. Eventually it will mix together. Now, all that is left to do is have fun! Grab your Oobleck in your hand and then watch it ooze back out like water. Oh, I don't suggest doing this over the carpet. Maybe a counter or covered surface. (If it does get on the carpet, just use water to clean it up)


Oobleck is so cool that my husband stopped playing Zombie games on the Xbox to play with it! Now, that is amazing if you ask me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting love! And I can't wait to hear what you have to say, bring it on!! And many thanks for taking your time to visit! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...