Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Flat Bread Time!!

I'm a fool for Flat Bread. And in the past I always bought it at the store because I thought I could never make it on my own. The real truth is that making flat bread is extremely simple! And most likely you'll have the majority of the ingredients in your pantry already.

2 packets of active dry yeast
1 tsp sugar
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 Tbl olive oil
1 1/2 tsp Sea Salt (plus some extra for topping the bread)

You'll also need about a cup of warm water...not burning hot, around 110 degrees.

Now, a concern I had was that I don't have a dough mixer...you don't need one. I personally didn't use a mixer at all, I did it the old fashioned way. (By hand in case you were wondering!)


Start by getting your yeast, put it and the sugar into a small bowl.

Set this aside and let it stand for ten minutes, it will get bubbly.


In a large bowl (or your mixer bowl) combine two cups of the flour, the olive oil, and the salt. Next add the yeast/sugar mixture and still together.


You are wanting to make a soft dough, that is what the other 1/4 cup of flour is for. Add it as needed.


Now you need to allow the bread to rise for an hour. It will double in size. Just throw a towel over the bowl. Make sure it's a clean one. =]


I passed the hour by looking at the pretty roses my husband had just bought me. 

Next, grab a baking sheet and spray it with non stick spray. Push your dough down and pull it from the bowl. Shape it into a ball and put it on the baking sheet. Spread it out into a circle that is about a foot wide and 1/2" thick. 


Cover it back up with a clean towel and let it rise another 30 minutes. 


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. 

When your dough is ready and risen, make little dents in it with your fingers. Rub olive oil across the top and sprinkle it with salt. You can also use you imagination at this point and put herbs or garlic on it. Or in the last few minutes sprinkle it with parmesan cheese. 


No laughing at my dents, I'm not the best. Now put your dented dough into the oven and bake for about 20 minutes, depending on your oven! You want it to be a nice golden brown. Pull it out and enjoy! 





1 comment:

  1. I made this! It was quite awesome..but for those newbies...BEWARE! It is time-consuming and VERY STICKY!!!!
    Do not let it touch your cloth towels! And flour your hands when putting it on the pans to cook! :d Other than that , great recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting love! And I can't wait to hear what you have to say, bring it on!! And many thanks for taking your time to visit! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...